Organizing a BQ painting class.

 Good Morning!


People often as me to provide info on a barn quilt painting class for your Guild.  Here goes:

The attached cover letter *see below) is how I introduce a class to individuals.  I just change the name and date and any special features of that particular class.

All I need is a date, address and logo or image representing your group.  I like to have groups  of 8 to 12 people.  We can do larger groups, but answering everyone's questions can take a bit of time.  We will need a room with tables and space.  I bring tablecloths and drop cloths (if desired). 

Class length is different for every individual.   I have had people sitting side by side doing the same design and one took two hours and the other took 4 hours.  Some times the difference is the slower person applying too much paint, and sometimes it's just the nature of the individuals.

It's best to try to allow up to 6 hours.  If someone doesn't finish a painting I can send small amounts of paint home with them to be finished later. Starting at 9:00 am is a good thought.

When you consider what size to paint, one aspect is the location where the design will be displayed.  These things seem to shrink when they are in the distance or up high on a barn.  (See related article on my blog. www.TheBarnQuilter.net )

In terms of difficulty, the 16 inch size can be the toughest because of small spaces. 24" is easiest.  Larger that 30" can be available but can also be clumsy in a classroom setting.

After the class I recommend the panels be sprayed with a clear top-coat to add surface protection and reduce fading.  Rustoleum Clear is a simple spray that works.

People select a design either from my website or from the internet or a design book they may have.  They send a photo of that selection to me and I'll draw it on a primed panel so it's ready to paint.  I tape off the first color that I am going to recommend they paint.  Light colors first.  Black will cover yellow but yellow won't cover much of anything.  A class at SIH limited the selections to 5 pre-approved deigns.  (not necessary).  If someone chooses a terribly complicated design there may be a charge for laying it out and I will warn them about how long it may take to paint.

All the materials are provided.  Paint (over 100 colors and shades to pick from), brushes and panels and lots of special masking tape..  I ask that a few people bring blow-dryers to speed the process. I bring a portable generator incase the room doesn't have enough power.

Snacks and beverages are suggested.  I had one group order pizza and another that brings wine and cheese!

I think that about covers the details.   Any one can call with questions and support at any time.

Let me know of there are further questions or concerns.

Thanks for considering this!

Jeff Kurtz - Carterville, IL
717-620-9676



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Links to design selections for classes

Jeff's tips for painting barn quilts