sharpening tips

 


This post is about getting sharper points on stars and spikes.  I have a very small brush to use in tight spaces like corners and tips of stars.  Small or not, the brush holds too much paint in a tiny drop on the tip and nothing tiny can be painted without a round corner.


This is also a problem where things merge into the center... See following photo:



That photo also shows effect of paint buildup along the edges of taped lines.  Most people have suggested applying thinner coats of paint, but I haven't gotten good at that, yet... I also have tried to move away from taped lines (which look pretty mechanical) to freehand, usually guided by a line scored with a sharp knife.  To me it creates a more natural hand-painted appearance.

Knife cuts to create shapes.  The red grease pencil was to remind me which line I was working on.



Now, to split the difference (in a manner of speaking) I'm applying tape the points and corners and cutting the tape to match the object.  I'll still get some buildup in the corners and will try to keep my coats of paint thin to minimize that.



Will update you wen I remove the tape.

Enjoy the day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Links to design selections for classes

Jeff's tips for painting barn quilts