Beginning at barn quilting

 Today is January 10, 2021. I just started doing barn quilts about three weeks ago. There is so much to be learned from the internet, and a friend gave me a "starter kit" with a few paints, brushes and an eraser.  I have used then all and aded almost every day. My first quilt came out s 16x16" based on a couple plywood shelves I had laying in the garage.  I have no idea where they came from.  1/2" plywood.

I started, based on life experiences, by coating them with a waterproofing. I used ZAR, although Thomsons deck waterproofing would do the same thing.  I'd like to be using CDX exterior plywood, but this was available.  

I yielded 2 19x19 pieces and 2 16x16 panels.  Using patterns found on the internet, I started laying out and painting.  My first pattern I drew on paper to be certain I new how it would go together.  Trying to stick to simple barn quilt patterns while I get started. At this point, my fourth quilt is coming together, although I'm working on #'2 3 and 4 at the same time.

Monday I will get to the luber yard and buy a 4x8' sheet of 1/2 inch plywood cut to 48" square and 2 16'X48' pieces. The 16" will become 16" Square, but I can cut that myself here at home.


My paint collection is a few things from here in the house and more that I bought on Amazon or ar Maynards (they ship samples of Dutch Boy exterior.


One tip. I read this and it's simple.  Coat the edges of the plywood with painters caulkto give it a more water repellent coating.Just rub it in with your finger.

If you start, take your time. Do some research, and have fun!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Links to design selections for classes

Jeff's tips for painting barn quilts